Cooking Fresh Mussels
Things to know when cooking fresh mussels
- First the mussels must smell fresh, they should smell of fresh see water.
- Look to see if any of the shells are open? Just tap them gently.
- If they close it means they are alive, to be sure they should be tightly closed.
- Next scrub them and wash them under cold water.
- Then debeard them, if too hard to pull to debeard them put them in the fridge for 3-4 hours, then try again.
- Next to cook them, drop them into a large pan with a little boiling water, they are ready when they all open.
- Keep the liquid, it can be used later to make a spicy sauce for spaghetti.
For recipes on how to cook mussels and other great Fish Recipes check out my book at www.bornachef.com
In there you will find a great recipe for Fish Soup ‘Zuppa di Pesce’ (image above) and also a fantastic recipe for Seafood Pasta Linguine ‘Le Linguini del Pescatore’ (The Fishermans Linguine, image to right)